Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Embracing the Entrepreneurial Struggle

Like most business owners, I started with the idea that hard work, good organization, careful management and a good business strategy would one day all come together into a smooth and seamless operation.

Years later, I am still waiting for that moment.  Make no mistake, I have gotten much closer to those visions of that well-oiled machine, but like a mirage, it always seems to disappear, leaving disappointment and exasperation.

In order to protect my health and safeguard my desire to continue the entrepreneurial struggle, I had to realize that the perfection that I have been striving for was unlikely.  With that in mind, I began to take these leadership frustrations in stride and own them.  If you also find yourself going crazy with the idea that you business is almost where it needs to be, focus on these areas to regain some perspective:


  • Your Staff is always Evolving
    • There is no such thing as getting a perfect mix of people to make your business work. I have had employees I was ready to fire end up becoming top earners, just because we hit on the right formula to turn around their performances. Some of my best staff members suddenly became problems when another (otherwise qualified) person joined our team, bringing with her a Pandora's box of interpersonal issues. When these shifts unfolded, they made me throw my hands in the air. But I have since learned that the best way to measure this crucial part of my business is not to force some idealized organizational model but instead to accept the constantly-evolving nature of staff dynamics, and even org charts.  Knowing who on my team is happy, who is frustrated, who is respected, and who is disliked, also tells me who is able to deliver, who needs help, and who may need to move on. Rather than trying desperately to keep all positions filled at all costs, I shifted my focus to getting the right people in the right roles.
  • Everyone is not meant to be your customer
    • No matter how much you try to convert every client you court into a customer, it won't always happen and sometimes, for good reason.  Rather than attempt to be everything to everyone, I now focus on growing our business with the right customers.  Those are companies who can get real value from our products, and recognize that the relationship has to be mutually beneficial. The right customers are willing to tell you when you have done something well, but also when you could do something better. Establishing those criteria and letting go of the need to win every customer for the sheer numbers game has made me better able to remain focused on the quality, rather than the quantity, of our transactions. 
  • The best innovations in your business comes from discomfort
    • I am no longer interested in achieving some sort of dream business that runs itself. I prefer to continue digging my heels in and pushing forward the best I can. The day the challenges stop is the day I'll look for a new job.  Moments of adversity have made my business better because they forced me to think outside 
If you have comments or would like to add to this article, comment below:



No comments:

Post a Comment